hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jl...@streamy.com>
Subject Re: Question/Suggestion: obtaining older versions of values
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:57:37 GMT
Doug,

It can be difficult for us to fully understand the perspective of a new
user as far as properly documenting and preventing confusion.

Maybe you could drop a couple suggested lines of javadoc into HBASE-1937
and I'd be happy to expand on them and get that committed asap.

I also think the getKeyValues methods would be useful and provide
additional areas of javadoc that would give more clarity as to how to
properly handle results.

Thanks for your help.

JG

Doug Meil wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> The use-case in question is one column with multiple versions, either to table-display
or plot (Y values over X timestamps), and since the insertion time into HBase is good enough
for the X dimension, we don't need a second column.

> After digging through my test program per your suggestion, I realized the error of my
ways.  The history *does* actually come back with the KeyValues when requested.  Doh!  I was
so focused on this Javadoc comment from getMap() "Map of families to all versions of its qualifiers
and values." that I focused on that method instead of realizing that the data was right in
front of me with KeyValue.

> I do think that something like what you suggested "Result.getKeyValues(family, qualifier)"
would still be useful for other versioned use-cases.

> I'd still suggest a few blurbs in the Result Javadoc on obtaining history (and that the
methods that return KeyValues contain history when requested).  It's "obvious" now that I
understand it, but not so obvious from the existing Javadoc.

> I'd be happy to help out with some of this documentation.
>
> Thanks!

of values for a table, provided that the table is versioned.

>>     Scan scan = new Scan();
>>     scan.setMaxVersions(5);
>>
>> >From the Javadoc, it looks like what I want is in here (from Result)....
>> getMap
>>
>> public NavigableMap<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/NavigableMap.html?is-external=true><byte[],NavigableMap<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/NavigableMap.html?is-external=true><byte[],NavigableMap<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/NavigableMap.html?is-external=true><Long<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/Long.html?is-external=true>,byte[]>>>
getMap()
>> Map of families to all versions of its qualifiers and values.
>>
>> ...  but there is a fair amount of gymnastics involved to get the data.
>>
>> Suggestion:   can an example of iterating over this map (and contained maps) be added
to the Javadoc?  Versioning is a powerful feature of HBase but using it isn't obvious in result
processing.