hbase-user mailing list archives

From Kevin Peterson <kpeter...@biz360.com>
Subject Schema design: change a primary key on a row?
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 20:29:55 GMT
I think that it is not possible change the primary key of a row, and I need
to copy any data I want over to a row with the new key and then delete the
old one, but I wanted to check.

I'm planning on creating my table storing spidered blog content building the
primary key from the timestamp of when an article was posted and our unique
article key. This seems the right approach because it matches our access
pattern when processing large amounts of data. The reason I need to be able
to change the primary key is when we get an item from multiple sources (i.e.
maybe we picked it up from digg and directly from the RSS feed) we don't
always favor the first one we downloaded and sometimes we see different
dates.

Does deleting the row and reinserting sound like the right approach?

(If it matters, I'm playing with 0.20 RC2 right now.)