hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best-practice/design query for storing a list/array of values
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:30:21 GMT
Serializing even a large list into 1 column is not a bad thing necessairly.
The thing is when you update that column, you have to rewrite the whole
thing. If you expect lots of items and a frequent update it might be better
to store each item in a column as stack says above.

Another question you can ask is "does my app retrieve this list as a unit
always?". If so, and the update rate is not high, a serialized format may be
the most efficient route.

It all just depends on your app read/write patterns.

Good luck!