hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: can Hive & HBase co-exist on the same cluster?
Date Fri, 18 Sep 2009 01:51:59 GMT
Hive and HBase can coexist independently on top of the same DFS filesystem and cluster.

There are two ongoing projects to hook up HBase and HIVE that I am aware of:

    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-705

Depending on how far along these, some level of cooperation can be possible. More certainly
down the road.

Best regards,

   - Andy

________________________________
From: Sujee Maniyam <s@sujee.net>
To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:18:48 PM
Subject: can Hive & HBase co-exist on the same cluster?

Hi all,
I am a newbie doing some research to put-together a system to process
large number of log-records.

A) Hbase system with clients executing MR jobs on the data

B) there may be some instances where we need to run ad-hoc queries on
the data.  I am trying to see if this can be done with out users
having to resort to writing MR programs.  HQL might be enough.  But if
it is not, I am considering Hive.

so that brings to my questions

1) Can both Hive and Hbase co-exist on the same cluster?

2) can they 'share' the same data/schema?  or do I need to insert the
same  data into Hbase table and Hive table?

thanks