hbase-user mailing list archives

From Greg Cottman <greg.cott...@quest.com>
Subject Stargate questions
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2009 06:51:51 GMT

I am using the Stargate REST API (version 0.20.0) - thanks to Andrew Purtell for his help!!
- and I had a couple of questions:

1.      If I don't put the optional "timestamp" attribute in a Cell when I'm inserting data,
the timestamp ends up as zero, which caused much confusion because it pre-dates the value
I thought I was replacing.  I assumed that not specifying this attribute would cause the timestamp
to default to the current HBase server time.  Instead I found I had to specify the timestamp
as "-1" to get this behaviour.  Is this a bug or an intentional semantic?

2.      I can't get a scanner to return just a subset of columns using the "columns" attribute
when making the scanner request.  I've tried holding my mouth different ways and it doesn't
seem to matter what I put in the columns attribute - although I am remembering to Base64 encode
it.  What is the expected format in this attribute for specifying which columns you want the
scanner to return?

3.      Is Stargate named after the TV show or the portal for the star dance in the Sara Douglass
books?  I just want to be sure my head is in the right place when I'm using this service.
 I wouldn't want to accidentally send all my bits to a parallel universe.  That would be tough
to explain at the daily stand-up.

Cheers,
Greg.