hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: REST or Stargate?
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:34:00 GMT
I back Stargate. It is not going away.

   - Andy

________________________________
From: Greg Cottman <greg.cottman@quest.com>
To: "hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org" <hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:30:19 PM
Subject: REST or Stargate?

I'm still a little confused by 0.20.0 releasing both a rewrite of the REST interface and giving
Stargate contrib status as part of the release.  This seems like having your REST *and* eating
it too!  Presumably if one of these implementations gains enough momentum it would lead to
the deprecation of the other.

It seems like the Stargate API is more comprehensive, but having said that, I would usually
go for core functionality over a contribution if they both met my requirements.  I don't want
to invest code and time in one to see it fall by the wayside over the next few releases.

Is anyone backing one of these to become the preferred method of serving REST from HBase in
the near future?

Cheers,
Greg.