hbase-user mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Settings
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:46:11 GMT
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 3:23 AM, Lars George <lars@worldlingo.com> wrote:

> Hi Stack,

>  I'd rather fix the description so its clear rather than add extra info out
>> in a wiki; wiki pages tend to rot.
>>

> I agree, but as mentioned in my earlier post the question is also how to
> communicate what are required, what commonly changed (and to what and why),
> which are more rarely changed and finally which are hardly touched ever.

I think the required should be in the 'Getting Started' section.

What to do about the other degrees is a little harder.

We could break up hbase-default by degree putting the rarely changed into an
hbase-arcane.xml?

We could drop options that are never changed or that look useless (if you
really need to change them, you can find them in the src): e.g.
hbase.master.meta.thread.rescanfrequency, hbase.regionserver.info.port.auto,
hbase.regionserver.msginterval, etc.

We could make hbase-client-default.xml and hbase-server-default.xml or
partition in some other way that made sense.

(I believe you can xinclude or some equivalient files for hadoop
Configuration)

> OK, as Andrew also points out. And not even sure anymore why I have it on
> the DN side as well. Maybe back then it was like "hey, let's try this as
> well"?

Yes.  We have done lots of this in the past and will probably continue to do
so going forward ("Try X!").

>  - hbase.regionserver.lease.period => 600000
>>>
>>> Default was changed from 60 to 120 seconds. Over time I had issues and
>>> have
>>> set it to 10mins. Good or bad?
>>>

>> There is an issue to check that this is even used any more. Lease is in zk
>> now.  I don't think this has an effect any more.
>>

> Interesting. Should be removed from hbase-default.xml then?

There is an issue to do so IIRC.

> This raises another question I wanted to ask. Wouldn't make sense to print
> out unknown settings as a WARN at startup?

That'd be nice but we probably ain't that disciplined and perhaps you want
to pollute your config. with "unknowns"?  (e.g. you are a subclass of hbase
as are THBase and ITHBase?).  I suppose we could read in the
hbase-default.xml and any config. not present there would be flagged?  What
about hadoop configs?  Read in the hadoop hdfs|common|etc|-xml and flag any
not present there?

St.Ack