hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Doubt in HBase
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2009 06:43:37 GMT
hey,

Yes the hadoop system attempts to assign map tasks to data local, but
why would you be worried about this for 5 values?  The max value size
in hbase is Integer.MAX_VALUE, so it's not like you have much data to
shuffle. Once your blobs > ~ 64mb or so, it might make more sense to
use HDFS directly and keep only the metadata in hbase (including
things like location of the data blob).

I think people are confused about how optimal map reduces have to be.
Keeping all the data super-local on each machine is not always helping
you, since you have to read via a socket anyways. Going remote doesn't
actually make things that much slower, since on a modern lan ping
times are < 0.1ms.  If your entire cluster is hanging off a single
switch, there is nearly unlimited bandwidth between all nodes
(certainly much higher than any single system could push).  Only once
you go multi-switch then switch-locality (aka rack locality) becomes
important.

Remember, hadoop isn't about the instantaneous speed of any job, but
about running jobs in a highly scalable manner that works on tens or
tens of thousands of nodes. You end up blocking on single machine
limits anyways, and the r=3 of HDFS helps you transcend a single
machine read speed for large files. Keeping the data transfer local in
this case results in lower performance.

If you want max local speed, I suggest looking at CUDA.