hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Public HBase data store?
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:33:22 GMT
Most that I am aware of set up transient test environments up on EC2.

You can use one instance to create an EBS volume containing all software
and config you need, then snapshot it, then clone volumes based on the
snapshot to attach to any number of instances you need. Use X-Large
instances, at least 4. Give HBase regionservers 2GB heap. Then try your
10 billion row test case.

   - Andy

________________________________
From: Greg Cottman <greg.cottman@quest.com>
To: "hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org" <hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 4:13:23 PM
Subject: Public HBase data store?

Hi all,

I need to do some scalability testing of an HBase query tool.  We have just started using
HBase and sadly do not have an existing database against which to test.  Things we are interested
in exploring is the difference between using an index table strategy versus map/reduce queries
without indexes.

I realise this is a long shot and that queries are very data-dependent, but...  Are there
any publicly accessible HBase stores or reference sites against which you can run test queries?

Or does everyone just create a 10 billion row test environment on their local development
box?  :-)

Cheers,
Greg.