hbase-user mailing list archives

From Peter Rietzler <peter.rietz...@smarter-ecommerce.com>
Subject Re: Feed Aggregator Schema
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 07:26:45 GMT

Hi

In our project we are handling event lists where we have similar
requirements. We do ordering by choosing our row keys wisely. We use the
following key for our events (they should be ordered by time in ascending
order):

eventListName/yyyyMMddHHmmssSSS-000[-111]

where eventListName is the name of the event list and 000 is a three digit
instance id to disambiguate between different running instances of
application, and -111 is optional to disambiguate events that occured in the
same millisecond on one instance.

We additionally insert and artifical row for each day with the id

eventListName/yyyyMMddHHmmssSSS

This allows us to start scanning at the beginning of each day without
searching through the event list.

You need to be aware of the fact that if you have a very high load of
inserts, then always one hbase region server is busy inserting while the
others are idle ... if that's a problem for you, you have to find different
keys for your purpose.

You could also use an HBase index table but I have no experience with it and
I remember an email on the mailing list that this would double all requests
because the API would first lookup the index table and then the original
table ??? (please correct me if this is not right ...)

Kind regards,
Peter