hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Smith <ryan.justin.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hbase in maven?
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:53:33 GMT
Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if your application is
accessing hbase as a client, you only need log4j, hadoop-core and hbase.  It
would be nice to have hadoop/hbase build under maven2, but in my opinion, it
would have to be a switch from their current build system to make it worth
while.  For example, one hbase source package references thrfit, but not
everyone uses thrift, so ideally in a maven2 pom.xml, you want to create
modules, hbase-core, hbase-thrift, hbase-zookeeper, etc.  Seems like at that
point, you would want to switch the whole project over to maven so youre not
doing double work for build maintenence.  For now, referencing what jars you
need from your app's pom.xml seems to make the most sense for hadoop/hbase -
maybe not for other projects with large amounts of runtime dependencies
though.   Here's hbase-writer's pom.xml :

http://code.google.com/p/hbase-writer/source/browse/trunk/pom.xml

If you scroll down to the dependencies, you'll see them all there.  The
application only uses hbase to create and write records to hbase tables so
all it depends on is hadoop jar, hbase jar and log4j jar.  All other deps
are for heritrix and one for testng for unit tests.
Dont let me discourage you from creating a jira ticket and submitting a
patch to create a pom.xml for hbase though! :)  I just dont find it a good
use of my own time to maintain one yet.

-Ryan