hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Column-oriented data modal
Date Fri, 31 Jul 2009 06:30:33 GMT
HBase and bigtable are referred to column-stores, but we arent a
'column oriented dbms' as described in the wikipedia.

At the storage level, hbase stores key-values, where the key is a
triple of row / column / timestamp.  Files are ordered lists of these
key/values, and they are sorted in that order, hence rows are stored
together, then sorted by column then reverse by timestamp (newest on
top).

Thus hbase is not a 'column store' in the sense listed in the wikipedia entry.

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Angus He<angushe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why don't you try to google it first?
> After googling with the keyword "Column-oriented", the first result is
> exactly what you want.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Column-oriented_DBMS
>

> 2009/7/31  <y_823910@tsmc.com>:
>> Hi,
>> Does anyone can tell me the benefit of Column-oriented data modal?
>> Thank you
>>
>> Fleming
>> 宏明

  TSMC PROPERTY