hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jl...@streamy.com>
Subject Re: Sorting in HBase
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:41:40 GMT
Read the HBase Architecture page on the wiki, as well as the BigTable
paper.  There are links all over the wiki, and also if you search the
mailing list archives.

HBase has a write cache, previously called Memcache, now called
MemStore.  That is where writes go, and then periodically flushed to
HDFS.  Each family of each region is made up of it's Memstore and 0 to N
on-HDFS files.