hbase-user mailing list archives

From Fernando Padilla <f...@alum.mit.edu>
Subject Re: hbase/zookeeper
Date Sat, 18 Jul 2009 02:37:04 GMT
Ok.. so it seems like ZK and TT can be smaller than we thought.. at
least it's an option. :)

How much memory are you giving the NameNode? and the SecondaryNameNode?
It looks like those are beefy on your setup for HA purposes.. but do
they take a lot of CPU? if i ignore HA could they share a box with other
services?

Andrew Purtell wrote:
> That looks good to me, in line with the best practices that are gelling as
> we collectively gain operational experience.
>
> This is how we allocate RAM on our 8GB worker nodes:
>
>   Hadoop
>     DataNode     - 1 GB
>     TaskTracker  - 256 MB (JVM default)
>     map/reduce tasks - 200 MB (Hadoop default)
>
>   HBase
>     ZK           - 256 MB (JVM default)
>     Master       - 1 GB (HBase default, but actual use is < 500MB)
>     RegionServer - 4 GB
>
> We have a Master and hot spare Master each running on one of the
> workers.
>
> Our workers are dual quad core so we have them configured for maximum
> concurrent task execution of 4 mappers and 2 reducers and we run the
> TaskTracker (therefore, also the tasks) with niceness +10 to hint to
> the OS the importance of scheduling the DataNodes, ZK quorum peers, or
> RegionServers ahead of them.
>
> Note that the Hadoop NameNode is a special case which runs the NN in a
> standalone configuration with block device level replication to a hot
> spare configured in the typical HA fashion: heartbeat monitoring,
> fencing via power control operations, virtual IP address and L3 fail
> over, etc.
>
> Also, not all nodes participate in the ZK ensemble. Some 2N+1 subset is
> reasonable: 3, 5, 7, or 9. I expect that a 7 or 9 node ensemble can
> handle 1000s of clients, if the quorum peers are running on dedicated
> hardware. We are considering this type of deployment for the future.
> However, for now we colocate ZK quorum peers with (some) HBase
> regionservers.
>
> Our next generation will use 32GB. This can support aggressive caching
> and in memory tables.
>
>    - Andy

is what I'm expecting, but I'm a newb. :)