hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hbase/zookeeper
Date Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:42:30 GMT
ZK guys seem to say you should give it 1GB at least.

This should not matter for 0.20.  In 0.21, our use of ZK will expand and
it will need more memory.  If you plan on using ZK for anything besides
HBase, make sure you give it more memory.  For now, you're probably okay
with 256MB.

Andrew Purtell wrote:
> That looks good to me, in line with the best practices that are gelling as
> we collectively gain operational experience.
>
> This is how we allocate RAM on our 8GB worker nodes:
>
>   Hadoop
>     DataNode     - 1 GB
>     TaskTracker  - 256 MB (JVM default)
>     map/reduce tasks - 200 MB (Hadoop default)
>
>   HBase
>     ZK           - 256 MB (JVM default)
>     Master       - 1 GB (HBase default, but actual use is < 500MB)
>     RegionServer - 4 GB
>
> We have a Master and hot spare Master each running on one of the
> workers.
>
> Our workers are dual quad core so we have them configured for maximum
> concurrent task execution of 4 mappers and 2 reducers and we run the
> TaskTracker (therefore, also the tasks) with niceness +10 to hint to
> the OS the importance of scheduling the DataNodes, ZK quorum peers, or
> RegionServers ahead of them.
>
> Note that the Hadoop NameNode is a special case which runs the NN in a
> standalone configuration with block device level replication to a hot
> spare configured in the typical HA fashion: heartbeat monitoring,
> fencing via power control operations, virtual IP address and L3 fail
> over, etc.
>
> Also, not all nodes participate in the ZK ensemble. Some 2N+1 subset is
> reasonable: 3, 5, 7, or 9. I expect that a 7 or 9 node ensemble can
> handle 1000s of clients, if the quorum peers are running on dedicated
> hardware. We are considering this type of deployment for the future.
> However, for now we colocate ZK quorum peers with (some) HBase
> regionservers.
>
> Our next generation will use 32GB. This can support aggressive caching
> and in memory tables.
>
>    - Andy

is what I'm expecting, but I'm a newb. :)