hbase-user mailing list archives

From Peter Rietzler <peter.rietz...@smarter-ecommerce.com>
Subject Batched Gets and Deletes by Id / Performance Issues ?
Date Fri, 17 Jul 2009 05:49:00 GMT

Hi

First of all thanks for your great work! We are enjoying using HBase in our
project :)

One of our HBase tables uses UUIDs for keys. The character of the data is
random access and we are indexing the rows with an external indexer. The
access characteristic is much like you would do with a traditional SQL
statement - Issue a query to the index and then get all associated rows
using the list of returned ids (typically from a few 100 up to around
100.000 rows ...). The same applies for deletion.

While batch updating is available I miss an opportunity to batch fetch and
batch delete rows by id. I currently use HTable.getRow() and
HTable.deleteAll() for these operations - however - both of the operations
perform pretty poor for more than a couple of 100 rows (I guess it's because
an IPC call needs to be send for each call...). Unfortunately scanning is
not an issue for this use case.

Is it planned to provide batch random access batch fetches ? Something like
HTable.getRows(list of ids) and HTable.deleteAll(list of ids) would be
perfect :)

Cheers,
Peter