hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Accessing a 0.20 cluster from outside a firewall
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 00:53:42 GMT
I'm not sure the last one will work - the 'info:server' entry in .META. and
-ROOT- are IP addresses....

HBase needs a flat view of the network, where all clients who want to
participate as a regular client needs to be able to access the same IPs as
what the regionservers report themselves as.  I am not sure this will ever
change, nor perhaps should change.   Since HBase is running an unsecured
protocol, it would be unwise to run it on the open internet or any open
network.   Use authenticated gateways (none exist AFAIK) or wrap the
functionality in a web app with auth (or not as necessary).

In the future we'll probably add ACLs, and maybe even the ability to run on
a non-flat network, but a malicious client is always a risk and I wouldn't
consider HBase a 'public cloud computing API'.