hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Are there any single points of failure in a HBase configuration
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:04:58 GMT
HBase itself doesn't strictly have any SPOF in 0.20.  Multiple master
failover, etc.

HBase depends on HDFS, which does have a SPOF in it's namenode.  If that
goes down, everything is down.  Generally speaking, namenode is reliable,
but the hardware is the issue.  You can have a quick recovery, but still
outage.

HBase isn't explicitly designed to run across a WAN split between 2
datacenters.  It's certainly possible, but during certain link-down
scenarios you are looking at cluster splits.  HBase master will decide those
regionservers no longer reachable have died, and HDFS will assume those
datanodes lost are gone, and start to replicate data.

In HBase 0.21, we are hoping to have replication support between clusters.

-ryan