hbase-user mailing list archives

From Piotr Praczyk <piotr.prac...@gmail.com>
Subject Row filters
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:12:46 GMT
Hi

I am developing a MapReduce task which operates on a very big HBase table.
Each time it is run across a relatively small subset of this table although.
I have read that HBase stores the rows in an alphabetical order. Rows
interesing for a particular MapReduce task always form a consistent areas
within the table saved in such order.
Using a binary search on the entire table would give a desirable performance
so I suppose, there must exist some mechanism to achieve this.

I am thinking, how can I provide the input for such task. I have found a
RowFilters mechanism. What is going to be performance of a solution using it
?
I want to have only the rows having the keys starting witrh a given prefix.
I want to avoid scanning the entire table, which filters seem to do.
Do you have any suggestions ? I was trying to find some inormation in the
archives of this mailing list, since it seems to be quite an obvious
problem. Although I have not found anything.

Thank You
Piotr