hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jl...@streamy.com>
Subject Re: TTL, Versions and storing long history
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 02:46:34 GMT
Jon,

Prior to 0.20, I would definitely recommend moving the time component to
the keys, columns, and values.  Even after 0.20, I recommend doing that
if you want complete control.  My personal philosophy is that versions
are for versioning, and if you are really using them as a time dimension
of individual data points, you should consider not using versions.

However, the API and server-side implementation for versions is greatly
improved.  You can specify stamps manually and you can query for any
range you want, gets and scans.

There is not currently a way to keep versions < x weeks old but always
keep the latest version.  If you wanted to enforce something like that,
you could always write a MapReduce job that ran periodically and
enforced what you wanted.

If you want to keep history forever, the idea is to use the "big enough"
values.  In practice, only since HBase 0.20 have we been able to handle
millions of versions of a single column (Integer.MAX_VALUE is >2
billion, far beyond the capabilities of HBase).  The same goes for
TTL... 2 billion seconds is over 60 years.  Could also move everything
to Long which would ensure there would never be an issue.  Will dig more
and let you know.

In any case, you'll need 0.20 to fully take advantage of versions.

Hope that helps.

JG