hbase-user mailing list archives

From tim robertson <timrobertson...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Map Reduce performance
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:30:28 GMT
Hi Ramesh

I'm not sure it is really meaningful to try and draw conclusions about
performance running on only node as you don't gain any benefits of
parallelisation.  You might be better trying with a small cluster of
say 4 nodes in Amazon EC2, and then trying the same with say 8 nodes
and trying to draw some conclusions about increased cluster size
yielding better performance, which is presumably the proof you are
really looking for - e.g. proving that you can grow in data volume and
performance with increased hardware.

I think the MR will work much better with more nodes as you have more
clients doing inserts in parallel onto HBase so will increase rapidly
as you scale out.

Just my 2 cents...

Tim