hbase-user mailing list archives

From tim robertson <timrobertson...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Katta for secondary index?
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:44:25 GMT
For build table index:

		BuildTableIndex bti = new BuildTableIndex();
		JobConf conf = new JobConf(TestBuildLucene.class);
		conf = bti.createJob(conf, 1, 1, "/tmp/lucene-hbase", "occurrence",
"raw:CatalogueNo");
		try {
			long time = System.currentTimeMillis();
			System.out.println("Starting the job input[occurrence]
output[/tmp/lucene-hbase]");
			JobClient.runJob(conf);
			System.out.println("Finished in " +
(1+System.currentTimeMillis()-time)/1000 + " secs!");
		} catch (IOException e) {
			e.printStackTrace();
		}

Cheers
Tim

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 9:39 AM, <y_823910@tsmc.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any code snippet of how to use BuildTableIndex and IndexedTable?
> Thank you.
>
> Fleming
>

>                      saint.ack@gmail.c
>                      om                       To:      hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
>                      Sent by:                 cc:      (bcc: Y_823910/TSMC)
>                      saint.ack@gmail.c        Subject: Re: Katta for secondary
>                      om
>

>                      2009/06/23 01:39
>                      PM
>                      Please respond to
>                      hbase-user
>

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 5:46 PM, <y_823910@tsmc.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> HBase access data only by key, right?
>> Anybody use HBase + Katta(for secondary index)? Does it work?
>

> Katta works but its just a means of distributing lucene indices.  You need
> to make the indices first.  You've checked out the BuildTableIndex
> mapreduce
> job in hbase?  It indexes table contents.  The index is sharded by the
> number of reducers you run.  Perhaps you can have Katta deploy this product
> for you?  Perhaps the indices made are not what you want for secondary
> lookups but you could adapt BuildTableIndex?
>
> Does the table change frequently?  A batch job to redo the index is OK with
> you?  In TRUNK you could run a scan that only found records created after a
> certain date so you could add incremental indices and then do the full
> build
> of the index at some lesser frequency.
>
> There is also the experimental tableindexed subclass of hbase that will
> keep
> up a secondary table as an index using transactional hbase so insert into
> primary and secondary table is done as a single transaction (Its not yet in
> trunk but should be here soon).
>
> St.Ack
>

>> We just want to transfer part of our Oracle table data to HBase
>> for multi parallel computing.
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated!
>> Thank you
>>
>> Fleming