hbase-user mailing list archives

From llpind <sonny_h...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] HBase 0.20.0-alpha available for download
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:33:43 GMT

Yeah, we did have an issue with that before.  After help from here, and some
thought into the schema, we changed the hbase schema a bit.

Now I have a scanner which iterates over, lets say ~2000 records, and has an
inner scanner which needs to change based on a value from the outter scanner
(essentially a nested for loop).  Performance is the issue here, I was able
to track it down to opening a scanner.  It appears HBASE-1118 addresses this
issue.  Is this correct?

Also if someone could point me to what I'm doing wrong with Hadoop 0.20.0
setup.  I'm able to start my master server, but none of the slave nodes come
up (unless I list the master as the slave).  They all have the following
error on start up:

STARTUP_MSG: Starting DataNode
STARTUP_MSG:   host = slave1/192.168.0.234
STARTUP_MSG:   args = []
STARTUP_MSG:   version = 0.20.0
STARTUP_MSG:   build =
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/core/branches/branch-0.20 -r 763504;
compiled by 'ndaley' on Thu Apr  9 05:18:40 UTC 2009
2009-06-18 09:06:49,369 ERROR
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.createSocketAddr(NetUtils.java:134)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.getAddress(NameNode.java:156)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.getAddress(NameNode.java:160)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.startDataNode(DataNode.java:246)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.<init>(DataNode.java:216)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.makeInstance(DataNode.java:1283)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.instantiateDataNode(DataNode.java:1238)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.createDataNode(DataNode.java:1246)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.main(DataNode.java:1368)

2009-06-18 09:06:49,370 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode: SHUTDOWN_MSG:

After searching a bit, seems people have this problem when they forget to
set df.default.name, but i've got it set in core-site.xml:

<property>
   <name>fs.default.name</name>
   <value>hdfs://master:54310</value>
   <description>The name of the default file system.  A URI whose
   scheme and authority determine the FileSystem implementation.  The
   uri's scheme determines the config property (fs.SCHEME.impl) naming
   the FileSystem implementation class.  The uri's authority is used to
   determine the host, port, etc. for a filesystem.</description>
</property>
<property>
  <name>hadoop.tmp.dir</name>
  <value>/data/hadoop-0.20.0-${user.name}</value>
  <description>A base for other temporary directories.</description>
</property>

Could the .19 install be messing something up?  Thanks