hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Gray" <jl...@streamy.com>
Subject Re: Web BI with HBase : Use Case
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 00:37:16 GMT
Vertica and Greenplum are RDBMS-based solutions that cost lots of money
and solve a bunch of problems out of the box.

HBase is free and doesn't do as much for you.  It takes care of the
distribution and fault-tolerance.  It provides multi-dimensional sorted
maps to store your data in.  There are no real secondary indexes, joins,
sql syntax, etc.

I would need to hear more about your project and more details about the
example you provided, but it seems that you could utilize HBase (possibly
in conjunction with lucene/katta and mapreduce).  I myself am using Katta
and HBase together right now and have some similar use cases I will be
exploring in the future, though my dataset is a bit smaller.

HBase will push more of the work towards the application layer.  Since
you're already using katta, it doesn't seem you mind too much about
dealing with things at that level.  But HBase alone may not give you
enough indexing.  But you can accomplish a significant amount with
denormalization and mapreduce.  With a 10 second response time, if you
kept the data you needed to deal with in a single row, or within
neighboring rows, you could read through a huge number of columns/values
and do client side and server side (via filters) processing.

JG