hbase-user mailing list archives

From Tom Nichols <tmnich...@gmail.com>
Subject Typed information like Cassandra
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:21:24 GMT
Hi,

I've been using HBase and now I'm looking at Cassandra.  What's
particularly interesting about Cassandra is its typed data model.
Apparently it involves JSON, but what matters the most to me is that
it makes storage of complex data types much easier.  It is described
here: http://project-voldemort.com/design.php about half-way down the
page.  Obviously JSON serialization & deserialization adds overhead
but the ability to choose a strongly-typed storage format seems nice.

Any thoughts of this functionality in the HBase API?  Not necessarily
JSON in particular, but a pluggable serialization/ deserialization
mechanism?  I imagine this could be done completely on the client, but
having something standard so every user doesn't have to roll their own
(and having the same functionality in HB/MapReduce) would be nice.

Thanks.
-Tom