hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Many storefiles on the same region
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:38:18 GMT
The issue you're hitting is exactly this one
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-1058. Currently it is
committed in trunk but it is not stable. You should use the current
0.19 branch and try to apply the HBASE-1058 v4 patch (I'm 90% sure it
will work without manual modifs) or wait until it is committed by
Andrew.

The problem behind this situation is that the rows are inserted
sequentially. That means that almost only one region will always be
hit and that will always be the most recent one. The reason it took a
while to split is that with this number of stores to compact, your
server probably began swapping.

Another thing to try would be to randomize your insertions. One way of
doing this is using UUIDs as row keys but you lose the ability to
scan.

J-D