hbase-user mailing list archives

From Sean Laurent <organicveg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase and Hadoop MapReduce - Common setups?
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 22:48:31 GMT
Okay, that sounds like what I expected. But isn't there a strong likelihood
for competition for HDFS resources between a M/R task running on a
TaskTracker and the RegionServer running on the same machine?

In other words, let's say a Hadoop M/R task is running on a given
TaskTracker and it's actively reading data from HDFS via the DataNode (and
both are on the same machine for locality reasons). At the same time,
another client is running an HBase BatchUpdate that affects the data stored
on that very same DataNode. Won't that create a bottleneck? Or do the HBase
operations like BatchUpdate actually run as M/R tasks? Or am I over
estimating the data-retrieval problem?

Thanks!

-Sean