hbase-user mailing list archives

From Sean Laurent <organicveg...@gmail.com>
Subject HBase and Hadoop MapReduce - Common setups?
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 22:13:00 GMT
Howdy folks,
We're evaluating HBase and we're trying to get a good solid picture of how
everything fits together... specifically, we're wondering how people
commonly setup HBase. I'm imagining you typically run the region servers on
the same machines as the HDFS data nodes to gain data locality benefits. And
from what I've seen on the mailing list, it's typically recommended
(although it sounds like it's up for debate in terms of SPoF issues) to run
separate machines for the HBaseMaster and NameNode servers.

Is it something along the following lines?

1x HBaseMaster
1x HDFS NameNode
N machines with both HRegionServer and DataNode

Now what about Hadoop and task trackers? Do people typically run completely
separate clusters for their M/R tasks? Do they run task trackers along side
the region server and data nodes? Or add machines that run TaskTracker and
DataNode servers but ~not~ HRegionServer?

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

-Sean