hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: writing map output to local fileSystem
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 21:35:01 GMT
You got it - you can't "update" the row key without a
reading/updating/delete/insert cycle.  This is because the newly inserted
row might not live on the same region server anymore.

It would probably be better to have a schema that avoids needing it's
primary key updated.

One common design pattern is to use a system like protobufs or thrift
serialization to store structured binary data in the hbase cells, thus
upping the complexity of what you may store in a hbase row. With some clever
redesign you may discover you can avoid the primary key value update.

Good luck!
-ryan