hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop Summit 2009 - Call for submissions
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 13:57:23 GMT
Hey all,

Jonathan, I think this is all good stuff

On my end, I'd like to give a presentation on the integration of Zookeeper
in HBase that Nitay Joffe and me have been working on. Main subjects would
be:

- The main features that are implemented for 0.20 (.ROOT. location stored in
ZK, HMaster failover, Region Servers leases replaced with ephemeral nodes,
etc)

- How HBase manages ZK instances.

- The issues we encountered during the integration and how we solved them
(mostly stuff about configuration)

- How using ZK improved HBase. One example is that by removing the RS
leases, a dead node is detected in the following 2-3 seconds instead of, in
the worst case, the full length of a lease. This way, we can reassign the
regions faster.

- The main features that are implemented for 0.21 like using ZK to
distribute the HMaster role to Region Servers.

- If in June HBase 0.21 is released or soon to be, I would cover the new
issues/improvements.

J-D