hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Dagaev <michael.dag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hbase cluster configuration
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 20:10:38 GMT
Thank you, Jonathan. I should have done the math :)

> You would need ~40 nodes just to support 3X replication on HDFS.  With about
> 250GB per node, you would have around 1000 regions per node.

Ok. Can I add just more disk space to the existing nodes
instead of adding nodes to the cluster ?

For instance, if I want 10 nodes rather than 40, I will add 1TB per node.
Thus, I will have 4000 regions per node and I will have to increase
the number of xceivers.
Should I add more memory to the nodes as well ?

> With 7.5GB of memory on each node, if you can give 3-4GB to the
> RegionServer, you should be able to handle that number of regions and have
> sufficient memory for indexes and some caching.

How much memory do I need to handle 1000 regions ?

>  With 0.19.0 hadoop and hbase, you'll be hitting xceiver issues for sure,

How many xceivers should I have

> but this should be
> resolved for the 0.20 release, at which point I am confident we could handle
> that load.

Thank you for your cooperation,
M.