hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Jean-Daniel Cryans" <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: the master role after ZK (was: Re: HBase failover)
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 20:16:41 GMT
I'm in favor of doing thing incrementally but also in favor of a system less
dependent on a single master. As always, you have good ideas Andrew ;) Locks
and all leases should be transfered in ZK.

For the next release, if we stick to current plan, a HRS failing while the
master is unavailable is indeed very bad so it would be advisable to keep
the master downtime as short as possible (by keeping a sleeping master that
keeps pinging the unique master lock every 2 seconds for example). Then the
first thing the new master has to do is to scan ROOT to see if all META
assignments are correct and fix those that are wrong (same with ROOT after
reading ZK). Then it scans META to confirm all region assignments, reassign
regions when needed.

J-D