hbase-user mailing list archives

From "tim robertson" <timrobertson...@gmail.com>
Subject hbase on EC2 - any guidelines for instance size selection?
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:22:15 GMT
Hi,

I have been using EC2 for various MR jobs, and when I am doing this I
can pretty much determine what EC2 instance size will best meet my
needs (e.g. large lookup memory indexes in Map requires large
instance, low memory processing intensive stuff happy with many small
etc) and how many jobs per node etc but for HBase I am not sure what
MR it is really going to run underneath...

Are there any rules of thumb for picking EC2 instance types for HBase usage?
Anyone done comparisons with many small versus fewer large instances?

My usage is likely to be 1 table (100 millions rows) and 3 column
families to start with, each with 50 or so columns.  Operations will
be scanning to populate family 2 with operations from family 1 and
many single requests, and single inserts.

Or perhaps a suitable answer would be - "each configuration is
different based on usage, so start experimenting" ?

Thanks,

Tim