hbase-user mailing list archives

From Thibaut_ <tbr...@blue.lu>
Subject Exist function?
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:32:58 GMT

On a few occasions, I have to check if a key exists in a table or not.

What's the best way to do it? The htable interface doesn't have any function
to check if a key exists or not, and I have to specify at least one column
when fetching a key.

At the moment I have secondary tables (with bloomfilters and blockcache
enabled) just used to check if a key exists. When adding deleting a key, I
will also add/delete an entry in the secondary table

Another possibility would be to just have an nearempty columnfamily used to
test if a key exists (my other column families always have about 100 KB of
data in it, and I don't want hbase to fetch that data from disk).

Thibaut