hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Gray" <jl...@streamy.com>
Subject RE: How can I running HBase on PHP
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 00:01:54 GMT
Also, 0.19 and 0.20 releases bring new mechanisms for caching data
internally/automatically without the need for something like Memcached on
top.

0.19 (current trunk) already has block-caching which caches blocks fetched
from HDFS in an LRU-style queue.

0.20 will add a column cache which will store read cells into memory in an
LRU-style queue.  This is very similar to how you might use Memcached
externally.

There are also plans for in-memory tables, hopefully in 0.20, and a
time-based cache which would do something like "keep past 24 hours of data
in memory".  These are still early in development but stay tuned to the list
over the next month or two to follow progress.

Until then, it's increasingly common to put a Memcached-like key/val on top
of HBase to help with random reading performance.  Memcached is in-memory
and typically based on TTLs, if you want to cache more data than can fit in
memory or you want real invalidations rather than expiration, you might also
look at BerkeleyDB or Tokyo Cabinet which are disk-based key/val stores.  If
you have any more questions, there are a number of us on the list who have
done things like this and can help.

JG