hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Kellerman (POWERSET)" <Jim.Keller...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Question on Connection Pooling
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:24:06 GMT
Connections to the master are not pooled by the client because
the only time the client needs to talk to the master is to get
the root region location (which is then cached).

Making the maximum number of cached connections configurable is
an entirely different subject. In practice, caching a "connection"
is not expensive as the connection will close its socket after
a configurable time interval of inactivity. So if later, the
client needs to talk to a cached "connection", it merely has to
reopen the socket rather than go through all the other setup.

---
Jim Kellerman, Powerset (Live Search, Microsoft Corporation)