hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Naama Kraus" <naamakr...@gmail.com>
Subject HBase for small data sets
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2008 08:48:49 GMT

Will HBase work reasonably for small data sets ? E.g. for 10s or 100s of
Gigas of data? Would it make sense to use HBase to store and access them ?

I was thinking HDFS and M/R have a overhead thus won't perform well for
small amounts of data. But say I use HBase w/o MapReduce (get, set, scan
only) and use local file system underneath, will I get reasonable
performance ? E.g. as opposed to using an RDBMS such as Apache Derby or
MySQL ? (Note that I am not thinking on having complicated relational
operations, or complicated schemes, but mainly a need in a key-value store).

Thanks, Naama
oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo
00 oo 00 oo
"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you
want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." (Albert