hbase-user mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: HBase for small data sets
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 21:35:38 GMT
Naama Kraus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Will HBase work reasonably for small data sets ? E.g. for 10s or 100s of
> Gigas of data? Would it make sense to use HBase to store and access them ?
>
> I was thinking HDFS and M/R have a overhead thus won't perform well for
> small amounts of data. But say I use HBase w/o MapReduce (get, set, scan
> only) and use local file system underneath, will I get reasonable
> performance ?
It won't look 'reasonable' if stacked against a RDBMS.  Might be 'fast
enough' though?

Scanning has been recently improved (4-fold is what I'm seeing) in
trunk.  Coming batching facility should improve writes similarly.
Random reads continue to suffer but might be OK going against local
filesystem?

Thanks Naama,
St.Ack