hbase-user mailing list archives

From Cosmin Lehene <cleh...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: How to add a column family from hirb?
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:05:36 GMT
Thanks,

Here's the alter implementation:

    def alter(tableName, args)
      now = Time.now
      raise TypeError.new("Table name must be of type String") \
        unless tableName.instance_of? String
      descriptor = hcd(args)
      @admin.modifyColumn(tableName, descriptor.getNameAsString(), descriptor);
      @formatter.header()
      @formatter.footer(now)
    end

It looks like it needs some logic to add a new column family @admin.addColumn
I could implement it, however if I were to send a patch I'd need to know the syntax philosophy.
Currently there's only one verb per command and for alter... Add column we would have two
verbs: alter and add. Should this be something like alter 'table', {COLUMN => 'new_family_name'}
or
{NEW_COLUMN => ..} etc, or should we pass the add verb somehow as an argument?

Cosmin