hbase-user mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Starting HBase from an old snapshot
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2008 22:14:11 GMT
Ivan:

This should work -- or at least, its worked for me in the past as long
as the shutdown was clean (as you say your's was).  The errors below
don't help much.  Perhaps retry with DEBUG enabled and send us over a
log (See FAQ for how to enable DEBUG).

Thanks,
St.Ack

Иван wrote:
> The situation is quite simple: I'm just trying to launch an HBase instance from a hbase
directory in HDFS which was remaining inactive for a some period of time (in fact the HBase
was just running from a different directory on the same HDFS, it was something like a backup).
But for some reasons there has been some problems in launching it, which resulted in some
exceptions, mostly like this:

> 2008-09-18 12:35:53,995 INFO org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server: IPC Server handler 2 on 60020
caught: java.nio.channels.ClosedChannelException
>         at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.ensureWriteOpen(SocketChannelImpl.java:125)
>         at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.write(SocketChannelImpl.java:294)
>         at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Responder.processResponse(Server.java:594)
>         at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Responder.doRespond(Server.java:654)
>         at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:917)
>
> and this:
>
> 2008-09-18 12:53:35,097 WARN org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer: Processing
message (Retry: 1)
> java.net.SocketTimeoutException: timed out waiting for rpc response
>         at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:559)
>         at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HbaseRPC$Invoker.invoke(HbaseRPC.java:230)
>         at $Proxy0.regionServerReport(Unknown Source)
>         at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.run(HRegionServer.java:314)
>
> The snapshot was made while cleanly stopping of HBase and copying (or maybe moving, I'm
not really sure) it's folder to another location in DFS.
> Even web interface of HBase have failed to launch, but it seems that that HBase is doing
something when it tries to launch: assigning some regions, creating/removing some blocks in
HDFS, etc. But finally it fails...