hbase-user mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Back Up Strategies
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:02:56 GMT
Charles Mason wrote:
> As far as I can tell there are two options:
> 2, Image the data stored on the HDFS cluster. Aren't there some big
> issues with it not grabbing a consistent image as some updates won't
> be flushed? Is there any way to force that, or to make it be
> consistent some way, perhaps via snapshoting?

Yes (as others have said on this thread).

We need to add a means of snapshotting an hbase cluster sending a signal
to all members who on receipt flush their in-memory content to the
filesystem writing across the cluser some sort of snapshot label or a
manifest of all files that comprise the snapshot.   Thereafter, I'd
imagine an administrator would start up a big MR job to do a distcp from
one filesystem to another out on some other cluster.   HBASE-50 is the
pertinent issue.

Related, this proposed feature in HDFS looks like it would make
snapshotting HDFS a breeze:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3637.

St.Ack