hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Charles Mason" <charlie....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [LIKELY JUNK]Back Up Strategies
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2008 19:35:48 GMT
On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 8:20 PM, Ding, Hui <hui.ding@sap.com> wrote:
> This should be something the operators of your data store worriy about.
> E.g., say hdfs uses three replicas, one should be on a local rack, the
> other on a different rack (to protect against power outage)
> And a third on a remote data center...
>
> If you have only a small cluster, then maybe use ups to guard against
> power outage and watch out for storms?
> After all, what are the chances that a meteorite hit your data center?
Well knowing my luck :)

There are some times when moving data from one cluster to another is
important. Moving data from a development cluster to a production one
is another useful feature.

I know some clusters are so vast its not so practical or not so
important depending on what the data represents.

Charlie M