hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Billy Pearson" <sa...@pearsonwholesale.com>
Subject HBase Block Size should we change it?
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:13:52 GMT
Have we looked at the option to set the default block size of the
HStoreFile's?

Reading over bigtable they use a default 64KB Block Size and
8KB on tables that do heavy random read's.

Should make this an option in Hbase to set the block size?
If so should be wet it in the hbase-default.xml or on a table level?

In the bigtable paper looks like they set it as a setting on the cluster
level
sense they have different clusters of server for different data types/apps.

I would like to see this looked at as I thank it might help our performance
numbers
at a cost of using more memory on hadoop namenode for the extra blocks.