hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Replay of hlog required, forcing regionserver restart
Date Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:46:45 GMT
Comments inline below.

--- On Sat, 7/19/08, Renaud Delbru <renaud.delbru@deri.org> wrote:

> From: Renaud Delbru <renaud.delbru@deri.org>
> Subject: Re: Replay of hlog required, forcing regionserver restart
> To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
> Date: Saturday, July 19, 2008, 11:19 AM
> Hi Andrew,
>
> The socket timeout appears only in the second log, in the
> first log nothing shows that it was a socket timeout ...

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I don't think this changes my estimation that your problems are the rough edges exposed by overloading though.

> I have two questions, to try to understand better what is
> happening:
>
> 1. Why HBase forces the regionserver to restart ? In which
> particular case this is triggered ?

A regionserver restarts itself when there is a serious internal error. There are many potential causes of a restart.

In your case the channel to DFS fails.

> 2. Why the region server is not correctly restarted ?
> HBase forces the region server to restart, but in fact the
> region server is just shutdown, the HRegionServer process
> is still alive. As a consequence, the master cannot connect
> to the region server, and any insert is refused.

It is the client that is attempting to talk to the region server e.g. to insert. Clients get region location assignments from the master, cache them, and then interact with the regionservers directly. Only after a certain number of retries after a regionserver has failed will the client go back to the master and ask whether a region has received a new assignment. If the system is operating properly, the regionserver would have stopped reporting to the master, the master would have declared it dead, and the master would have reassigned the affected regions to other regionservers. The client then discovers the reassignment, contacts the newly assigned regionserver(s), and progress continues (eventually).

> If this is related to timeout answer from one region server
> or from the master, is it possible to modify some options to
> tell HBase to wait until he gets an answer, and to not force
> the region server to restart.

If a regionserver has encountered a fatal error, there's no other meaningful option but to restart.