hbase-user mailing list archives

From leith <ele...@diffbot.com>
Subject compaction thread always hitting exceptions
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:42:13 GMT
looking at our region logs, we've noticed that the compaction thread constantly
runs into exceptions. the entire log is filled with something like this:

----------------------------------
2008-07-22 12:29:52,759 WARN org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HStore:
Exception closing reader for 242866774/new
java.io.IOException: Stream closed
    at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DFSClient$DFSInputStream.close(DFSClient.java:1319)
    at java.io.FilterInputStream.close(FilterInputStream.java:155)
    at org.apache.hadoop.io.SequenceFile$Reader.close(SequenceFile.java:1581)
    at org.apache.hadoop.io.MapFile$Reader.close(MapFile.java:577)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HStore.closeCompactionReaders(HStore.java:917)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HStore.compactHStoreFiles(HStore.java:910)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HStore.compact(HStore.java:787)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion.compactStores(HRegion.java:887)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegion.compactStores(HRegion.java:847)
    at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.CompactSplitThread.run(CompactSplitThread.java:84)

the regionserver is taking about up a good amount of memory on our system, and
nothing is happening except for i assume compaction/split processes.

these only seem to be warnings, but there is so many of them, it would be nice
to get a second opinion on this.

we've also gotten an 'out of memory' exception a few times from the compaction
thread, and those actually ended up killing the thread, resulting in the region
server shutting itself down.

thanks,

/leith