hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Jean-Daniel Cryans" <jdcry...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some question about HBase
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:20:27 GMT
Xin,

Comments inline.

Regards,

J-D

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:28 AM, Xin Jing <xinjing@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a new user of HBase, I am curious about the inert process of HBase.
> Could you please explain it in details?
>
> The question is: when I created a table (only one column, to make it easy
> to describe), and insert a huge amount of data into the table. I know it is
> a B-Tree like storage structure, what is the mechanism to build the table?
>
> 1.         When the table size is over a threshold, how to split it?

Each table is divided into regions which are distributed among the region
servers (nodes) and each region splits when growing larger than a configured
size. This is described here:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/HbaseArchitecture#hregion

> 2.         When inserting data into the table, is all the data is in
> memory? If not, how to make sure the performance is good enough?

Also described in the link above.

> 3.         When all the data has been inserted into the table, there must
> be a lot of files. And the files size may differ at some extend (some file
> is several M, while some may be several hundred M), do I need to make the
> file size similar and how?

This is also described in the link above.