hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Jean-Daniel Cryans" <jdcry...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: advice in overcoming our hbase roadblocks
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:36:54 GMT
'INFO org.apache.hadoop.hbase.

> regionserver.HRegion: Blocking updates for 'IPC Server handler 8 on 60020'
> on region dmls,,1216768730386: Memcache size 64.0m is >= than blocking 64.0m
> size '

This is normal. Have a look at the following documentation to understand how
HBase works: http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/HbaseArchitecture

6) we've then hit only one 'FileNotFoundErrors', and for the rest of the
import, it continually runs into 'org.apache.hadoop.hbase.

> NotServingRegionException:
> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.NotServingRegionException:'

The NotServingRegionException is also normal. After a split, the client
still has old metadata so when hitting this exception it means to the client
"hey, refresh your cache because regions changed".

1) everything (hdfs/hbase) is running on one machine currently (short term)

This is the bulk of your problem. HBase is designed to distribute load
across a lot of machines so when a compaction or a flush occurs it normally
won't affect the performance too much. The short term solution for your
short term situation is to slow down the inserts. For example, first try
inserting batchs of 60mg of data and wait after each batch for the flush to
finish (or compaction or split).

J-D