hbase-user mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: region server hanging
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2008 20:08:29 GMT

Billy Pearson wrote:
> The server is only a dual 2.4Ghz with 4Gb memory with a 147GB SCSI 10K
> rpm drive
> I got 16 threads on 4 server includeing the region server doing a bulk
> insert on 1 table.

Ok.

You'd think regionserver java threads would be scheduled some time, no
matter what the loading but the oversleeping phenomeon your seeing has
been observed elsewhere both on our internal cluster and elsewhere:
XLarge EC2 instances, etc.

> Also note this type of problem could cause the region server lose
> there lease
> I have had to update the hbase.master.lease.period to a much larger
> number
> then default to keep the region servers from killing them self under
> heave load like this
> I maybe something to add to the FAQ.
A FAQ entry would be a good idea.  Could at least explain the phenomeon.

Do you think we should update our default?  I'm thinking we should.  Its
a minute currently.

St.Ack