hbase-user mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Does HBase support single-row transaction?
Date Tue, 27 May 2008 21:13:42 GMT
Clint Morgan wrote:
> Zookeeper makes good sense for distributed locking to get isolation.
> But we still need transaction start, commit, and rollback to get
> atomicity. I think this properly belongs in hbase.

Since all clients are going via zookeeper anyways ('isolation'), maybe
it'd be better to just run the whole transaction management out of
zookeeper? Clients would open a transaction on zookeeper and put their
edits there so they were available for rollback and/or commit. If client
died midway, could ask zookeeper for outstanding transactions and pickup
whereever it'd left off. Otherwise, on success (or rollback), clean up
the transaction log.

Alternatively, all clients would have to go via the hbase master so it
could orchestrate row access. Master would need to hold outstanding
transactions somewhere either in an in-memory transactions catalog table
or itself over in zookeeper.

St.Ack