hbase-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Kubes <ku...@apache.org>
Subject Re: gigabit or fast ethernet?
Date Sat, 08 Mar 2008 18:42:01 GMT
We use gigabit switches for Nutch/Hadoop and if you have the option go
for gigabit.  With 100Mbps switches we see traffic per box top at
10-15Mbps.  With Gigabit switches it tops at 50-70Mbps which is being
limited by the read speed of the SATA disks.  Internally traffic has
topped 100Mpbs transfer on large hadoop jobs, especially during map
transfer.  Externally (fetching) we have maxed at 35-40Mbps.  I don't
know if you would see the same type of traffic for hbase, but
considering gigabit switches are in the $200-300 US range now I would go
with gigabit.

Dennis